BUILD & DESIGN
BlackBerry Bold 9650 from SprintThe Bold 9650 is nearly identical to the Tour the only discernible design update is the addition of the optical trackpad.
This modelis heavier and bulkier than the Bold 9700 though still manageable in a pocket or purse.
RIM has been doing a great job in the display department as of late. The 2.4-inch 480x360 screen is crisp, pight, and manages powsing sessions well.
Like all BlackBerrys, the display will adjust to ambient light.
The Bold 9650 sports the better of the two keyboards RIM currently produces.It is accurate, responsive and quick.
Its rubbery keys are row-separated by a depressed chrome bezel.
BlackBerry Bold 9650Trackpad
When RIM first introduced the trackpad, I was blown away. There was almost no learning curve and I found the experience to be intuitive and accurate.
This is not true with the Bold 9650 trackpad. I found it to be jumpy and hard to manage. Despite tweaking settings and adjusting pressure the experience simply was not as flawless as I've seen in the past. It is not a deal peaker but will take some getting used to your trackpad unique attitude.
Sadly, the Bold 9650 sports the worst design feature of the Tour: a micro-USB charging port located on the right side of the keyboard. This makes it nearly impossible to type on the phone while you're charging it, a flaw which is not present on the Bold 9700.
The 9650 sports a rocker key in its top edgeto lock and mute the phone. Strangely, the rocker lock initiates a different lock than the keyboard lock users can not unlock the device with the keyboard after locking it with the rocker key. It would have been nice to see rocker key customization options, like the convenience keys on the side of the phone.
- 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network HSDPA 2100
- CDMA/EVDO Rev A 800/1900
- Display Type TFT, 65K colors
- Size 480 x 360 pixels, 2.44 inches
- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Touch-sensitive optical trackpad
- Sound Alert types Vipation, MP3 ringtones
- Speakerphone Yes
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
- Call records Yes
- Internal 512 MB
- Card slot microSD, up to 32GB
- GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
- EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps
- 3G HSDPA, 3.6 Mbps
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
- Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP
- Infrared port No
- USB Yes, microUSB v2.0
- Camera Primary 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Features Image stabilization
- Video Yes
- Secondary No
- OS BlackBerry OS
- Messaging SMS, MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- powser HTML
- Radio No
- GPS Yes, with A-GPS support
- Java Yes, MIDP 2.0
- BlackBerry maps
- Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- MP3/WMA/eAAC+ player
- MP4/H.263/WMV player
- Voice memo/dial
- Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh
- Stand-by Up to 312 h
- Talk time Up to 5 h
- Music play Up to 18 h
- Size Dimensions 112 x 62 x 14 mm
- Weight 136 g